What is that invisible slime that is left in your dog’s water bowls? If you run your fingers inside the bowl, you will feel a slippery slimey film that is lurking around inside. It actually is called, biofilm and it can be harmful to your pets…
Biofilm is a collection of organic and inorganic, living and dead materials collected on a surface. It is made up of many different types of bacteria bound together in a thick substance that acts as a glue to both hold the bacteria together and adhere it to a surface.
Biofilm can often be good bacteria but there is also the bad.
Many pet parents just refill their dog’s water bowls and call it a day (I am guilty of this)…but in reality you should be changing out their bowls every week. Physically washing their bowls at least once a week, even though it is just water. If you do not, it creates a wonderful place for Biofilm to lurk.
Biofilms provide a safe haven for organisms like Listeria, E. coli and legionella where they can reproduce to levels where contamination of products passing through that water becomes inevitable. Bad Biofilms have been found to be involved in a wide variety of microbial infections in the body such as urinary tract infections, middle-ear infections and bladder infections.
Ways to reduce Biofilm:
- Remember to clean your pet’s water bowl at least once a week if you can and change water daily.
- For pet daycares where a host of different bacteria float around in water bowls, wash daily!
- For best results, run your water bowls through a hot cycle in the dishwasher with an eco-friendly, non-toxic soap to really clean out the biofilm!
For more information & the full article, go to http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/slime-in-dog-water-bowl/