What is there to know about cat toys & the link to a cat’s happiness, you say? A LOT! “Cats are athletic creatures with amazing strength and agility. Nature made them into perfect machines for leaping, jumping and dashing. Just because your house kitty doesn’t have real prey to chase doesn’t mean she can’t act out her inner predator. Play gives them an outlet for their energy, mental and physical stimulation, the opportunity to satisfy their instinctual hunting drive and a chance to bond with you.” (http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/cats/tips/cat_toys.html?referrer=https://www.google.com/)
Cat toys today are on a whole new level…they even have cat boxes delivered to your door step (like Barkbox, but for your kitties)! See below for the link to become a monthly subscriber:)
There are all kinds of ways to spoil your cats and we all know every cat needs a toy or two. And yes, the free way of entertaining your cats still exists–using the good old empty cardboard tubes from toilet paper and paper towels, will always work.
“There are several toys that can help keep them occupied, while stimulating and challenging their curiosity and intelligence. The exercise certainly helps, too.” *(https://www.thespruce.com/toys-for-cats-home-alone-554647)
Here are some toys to keep your cat stimulated and entertained while you are away:
- Interactive Bird DVD’s
- Peek A Prize Toy Prize
- Catnip Cigars
- Interactive and automatic cat balls (catnip optional)
- Mylar Balls (think shiny!)
- Paper Shopping Bags
- Cardboard boxes
- Rubber bands
If you are the type that likes to get creative and DIY, here are some cool options as well (for more info. & instructions for the following toys, please go to https://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/clearing-the-air/2014/03/the-10-best-homemade-cat-toys/ :
1. HOMEMADE CATNIP YARN BALLS: Transform glue, catnip, yarn, and Styrofoam balls into irresistible homemade cat toys.
2. HOMEMADE TOILET PAPER ROLL CAT TOY: Save the tubes from your toilet paper rolls, and you can make anything from a cool sphere to a treat rattle.
3. FEATHER CAT POUNCE TOY: We love these felt “feathers”—and the little bell is music to our ears.
4. CAT TRANSIT SYSTEM: For DIYers with serious metalworking skills, here’s an outrageous way to route cat traffic in your home.
5. HOMEMADE CAT TOYS MADE FROM SOCKS: Finally, a use for all those lone socks who’ve lost their mates.
6. CARDBOARD CAT PALACE: Take your cat’s love of a good cardboard box to the next level.
7. PRACTICALLY FREE HOMEMADE MOUSE TOY: Download an adorable mouse template, break out the cardboard and scissors, and voila! Hours of feline entertainment.
8. SUPER SIMPLE PIPE CLEANER CAT TOY: This one’s so easy, your kids can make it! All you need are a few pipe cleaners—the shinier the better.
9. COMPUTER MOUSE CAT TOY: Rummage through your old computer junk to make this super-cute homemade cat toy.
10. MENSWEAR MICE: Have you been meaning to weed out your closet? Here’s a use for all those old shirts and suit jackets that don’t fit anymore!
Now, more on those pawsome monthly cat boxes sent to your door—–they are called KitNipBox and the boxes contain high-quality cat toys, all-natural treats, and other fun, healthy cat products. Click on the following link for examples of what you can find in your cat’s box: https://s3.amazonaws.com/KitNipBox/Emails/Sample+Product+Insert+for+Website.pdf
Lastly, any cat can get bored of their toys…to ensure they do not get bored–rotate them out each week or month. Of course, interactive toys are the best as they strengthen the bond between you and your cat. Found toys are often more popular than introduced toys. Cats also love “hide & seek” of course. Just plain old human interaction, a little love and TLC.