Pets are delightful creatures, and whether it is a cat, dog, turtle, rabbit, or snake, they are all amazing, love-worthy, and add so much joy to our lives. The most common pet choice for most people all around the world is between dogs and cats. And which one of the two makes for a better pet has been an age-old debate.
Comparing the two is like comparing apples to oranges. They are both adorable and wonderful in their own ways, and there is no comparison or competition between the two. The two animals have completely distinct (some would say opposite) dispositions and personalities and have their own unique set of traits. While there is no ‘superior’ pet, and no dog or cat could emerge victorious in a “cats versus dogs” debate, it is true that a certain pet might be the best suited to your personality and lifestyle.
Here, we discuss the pros and cons of pet dogs and pet cats to help you choose the best pet for you.
- Cats are relatively low maintenance. They don’t need to be monitored all day long and are naturally very hygienic, so they don’t give you too much trouble with bathroom accidents around your place.
- They also lick themselves clean very effectively, which means a bath time once every 2-3 months suffices for house cats.
- Cats adjust in small spaces, like apartments and condos. They don’t need a lot of room to stay in and can pick out a quiet corner of your house and make it their own.
- While a cat won’t ruin your carpets or furniture, changing a cat’s litter box every day is a downright chore. They are fussy about cleanliness and will refuse to do their business in a dirty litter box.
- Unless you get a sphinx cat, you will have to deal with a lot of cat hair on your clothes, on your bed, and your carpets. Cats shed a lot, and if your cat is a longer-haired breed, you will constantly be removing bits of her fur from your clothes.
- Dogs are very affectionate. So if you want unconditional love and adoration, dogs are perfect. Cats are generally not that expressive, but dogs are absolutely crazy about you and are not afraid of showing it.
- Dogs are considered man’s best friend and serve as very good guards. A well-trained dog can protect you and your house against invaders or unwanted attention.
- Dogs require a LOT of attention. They are high maintenance pets and need quality time with you, playtime, exercise, and training and regular walks. They are like small kids that need to be watched all the time and reprimanded when they misbehave.
- Dogs need space. They are not happy being cramped up in one room or a small apartment. They need open spaces, bigger houses with lots of room to move about.
Now that you have a better idea of the different needs and requirements of cats and dogs, you can choose which one you want to bring into your home, and end the “cats versus dogs” debate for yourself at least. If you need help walking your dog and caring for any of your pets, contact Little Friends Pet Sitting and Dog Walking, and one of our pet sitters or dog walkers can help you out.